Wednesday, September 23, 2015

ALPHA v. 0.2.01


Fewer additions than yesterday, but I'm pretty confident I did more coding for this yesterday than I will again. I hear all the feedback about difficulty and about all the many scenes that should be in the game and aren't. I plan to make the game gradually harder as I move towards 1.0, and I plan to be adding more scenes to this game as the fancy strikes long after 1.0.

It is now possible to nominate a bodyguard once certain conditions are fulfilled. After some thought, I decided that the PC's slave girl bodyguard would be for sexy intimidation as much as for combat effectiveness. So, she will be described as wielding a straight ceramic sword more or less like this, and a machine pistol like this or this. For those who prefer muscular slaves, there is now something at which your preferred slaves excel.

I've found some horribly obvious and unreported errors in playtests that suggest that some events aren't being seen much. I won't spoil them, but the wider a variety of things you try, the wider the variety of events you will see.

Download: Mega.
Tip jar: Patreon.

I have an important question I need feedback on. How long do you want a full game of Free Cities to last? To be clear, there will always be the option to just keep playing, but the scheduled events will run out at some point. I get the impression some are playing a single game for much longer than I thought. I had originally intended that a playthrough would reach the endgame (where the player is drowning in money and has seen all major non-random events) after not more than an hour or two. If this is not so, I will space my planned events out farther.

v. 0.2.01 Patch Notes:
  • BodyguardsAs usual, this version adds bodyguard mechanics while future versions will give them events and interactions, so for now they have relatively little to do other than stand around and look intimidating.
  • Addition of an option to discard a slave (not sell her). This may preserve games in which a bugged slave appears.
  • Significant update to obedience changes: there is now a limit to how much a slave's mental state can change weekly. This should not be a noticeable difference 95% of the time; it mostly covers a couple of exploits.
  • Rebalance of milk production. Notably, slaves born male can still lactate via drugs, but will always produce less due to having less natural mammary tissue for the drugs to affect.
  • Review of cash reporting; reported profits and actual cash increases should match up better. Milking was absolutely wretched at this.
  • Many new callouts of a slave's ethnicity if the player has that setting enabled.
  • New events.
  • Other bugfixes.